The Creative Desert

and I mean this in two ways because Ahwatukee is in a hot desert climate and because 
creativity/arts is almost non existent in the visual sense within my daily and immediate area.  Before any locals get defensive this is not a complaint, it's just a difference I will get used to.  I was very spoiled as an artist in the last place I lived, Yellow Springs, Ohio, which was like Bisbee or Jerome.

I no longer have the distractions of the visual prompts or the daily interactions of a very active arts community, but I don't see the creative desert as a negative, but rather as an opportunity.

What creative people understand about the importance of being alone

In the digital age, it's easier than ever to avoid spending time alone with our thoughts. If we don't have family, friends or colleagues nearby, we can just whip out our smartphones or fire up Netflix. In fact, we so dislike solitude that we would rather administer electric shocks to ourselves than just sit and think....

Comments

Popular Posts