#metoo - Is There a Woman That This Hasn't Happened To

TRIGGER WARNING
Viva La Vulve
"It was about women coming together and  not wanting to be silenced.”

I will NEVER forget the first incident. I was walking home from school in the wee mining village we lived in and a man with several children my age (6 years old) around him called me over. He was exposing himself and I was horrified and ran home and told my mum. She called the police but they never found the filthy pig. Actually that's an insult to pigs. 

 By the time I saw a man flashing himself in the cinema a few seats away from me I had sadly seen this happen so often during my teen years I was not shocked, just again disgusted and I shouted "put IT away" and reported him. The police came and to my further disgust the officer tried to interview me and ask for my address within earshot of the perv. 

Late teens I worked in a Butcher's department in a supermarket and the head butcher, a man in his 50's, couldn't keep his hands off the women. Our job was to try and protect each  other and NEVER walk by the cooler alone lest he drag you in for a feel. No matter how much we objected, no matter how many times women stamped his foot or dug an elbow into him he insisted women loved the attention. NOTHING could dissuade this piece of trash from his belief and the other men pretended not to see it, management didn't care.

There have been worse incidents, some brutal that led to jail time for the perpetrator, but the sad reality is that I am not alone. 

I was asked by Amelia Robinson in a blog radio interview at WHIO Dayton if the #metoo will make a difference and I can't really answer that. 
Are men listening, are men making changes, are men in power holding others accountable, themselves accountable? Is society listening and demanding changes or are they making excuses for those perps that align with them politically, socially, economically, career wise, etc. 
This article talks of lumping the trivial in with the "legitimate sexual assault". The problem is that the trivial is part of the conditioning and pattern that leads to an unhealthy acceptance of abusive behaviour towards children, teens and women.  I purposefully excluded the word "legitimate" because that smacks of marginalization. 
I have had TRIVIAL up to my eyeballs and 
it's NOT acceptable.

TIME Person of the Year 2017: The Silence Breakers

Movie stars are supposedly nothing like you and me. They're svelte, glamorous, self-­possessed. They wear dresses we can't afford and live in houses we can only dream of. Yet it turns out that-in the most painful and personal ways-movie stars are more like you and me than we ever knew.





Comments

Popular Posts