Sketchbook: Watching Trees and Photographing your work

acrylic, ink, brush on glaze
 photo of Autumn tree in Yellow Springs, Ohio

I part the out thrusting branches
and come in beneath
the blessed and the blessing trees.
Thought I am silent
there is singing around me.
Though I am darke is vision arod me.
Though I  am heavy
there is flight around me.

Importance of Taking GOOD photographs
Last week I was scrambling after getting requests from two reporters needing images for printed articles.  One was no problem because I had high res pics of my work on file, but the other was a royal pain. Dayton City Paper needed photographs of the Yellow Springs Arts Council permanent collection but unfortunately most photographs available were too small, add to that the reporter wanted a pic of my work (which is horrible to photograph due to the resin). ARG!!!!!!!!!!! Another lesson: photograph your work before you pour resin on it, or frame it behind glass. Anyway Nancy and I had to go and take down a few pieces in the show and photograph them, and that was a pain in itself. All worth it though.

How to photograph art by J R Compton 
Important Tip: Because the colour we see vs  what the camera sees is different it helps after downloading and adjusting the image to have the original piece nearby for reference.




Comments

Cindy Adkins said…
Love this piece and the poem :)

Popular Posts