The Art of Hurt

I had to share this video by Thierry Alexandre because as creepy as it is, it really captures the essence of horror of a situation that so many fear or face.


Sometimes art like this is so ugly, but the ability to manifest the raw essense of something into an art piece is something I admire and strive for. Kiki Smith's work does this too, sometimes it makes one cringe but it speaks volumes.

I am struggling with this one piece. I don't think it even compares with artists like Kiki or Theirry, but have to keep trying.

"shiny pretty things"
linen, oil paint, embroidery, button, beads, lace, resin and acrylic on mdf

I special ordered the jet teardrop beads because they remind me of bombs, but I'm not happy with the way I attached them. I almost feel they need to be more random and different lengths. Also not happy with the background either. I feel like it needs something, but not sure what. My friend says once I use a colour to stitch the piece to the panel it might help. So off to the studio to rework this and stitch.

Comments

leanne pizio said…
I love this piece. can't wait to see the changes. post soon!
tera said…
I like where you are going with your piece. I agree, that the jet drops maybe need to be more random. Maybe even hung with different materials (ie. some thread, some wire, etc)? But I really like the rest of it, and I don't mind the background at all. I like the juxtaposition of the happy "normal" looking blue patterned fabric with the rest of the piece. You have a very interesting brain!
jafabrit said…
thanks Leanne :)

I appreciate your input Tera and I think you are spot on about the beading.
Colette Amelia said…
I am much happier with the changes as well! And you know since I am hoping to be the next God of the Chealsea Flower show I know best and I must be contented!

Popular Posts