Thine eyes

What ghost doth pass the narrow confines of thine eyes?

Satin Stitch, Couching for the hair

Image from a collage in my sketchbook of my D.C trip.

The eyes are from a painting called "Ginevra de' Benci" by Leonardo da Vinci that's on display in the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. I couldn't stop staring at it, the paint work and the flesh tones so delicate and beautiful.
I was drooling for an hour at it.

I was going to do long and short stitch but decided to break up the space and use satin stitch.

Examples of Embroidered Eyes at Needle & Thread
Video Tutorial Library of Stitches



Comments

Lynne with an e said…
Simply gorgeous! So much expression in those eyes. Beautiful work.
Debrina said…
The eyes have it, in this one! The hair is quite delightful too! In fact, I was reminded of the Fairy Queene - Elizabeth the First nonetheless. Same hooded eyes, pale complexion and orange hair...

Popular Posts