A New Year begins

"The object of art is to give life a shape."
William Shakespeare

I grew up hearing this phrase in the Northeast of England.
I didn't frame the finished embroidery piece because the person I am sending it to (Yay Bill got it yesterday) might want to do something with it, add to it, incorporate it into an assemblage, hang as is, or just frame it.
There are Other variations of this saying.
My glaswegian neighbour says.Tell tale tit. Yer mammy cannae knit, yer daddy cannae go tae bed Withoot a dummy tit .
The New Year
begins with another thread translation

based on my skull painting
"Homage to Frida Kahlo".

I used 12 different colours in this small parrot
which tells me this embroidery is going to take a while to finish.



Happy New Year





Comments

Debrina said…
Oh and Happy New Year to you too! Your needlework kicks arse!
arlee said…
I am looking forward to seeing the magic you create with that Frida emphasis!
ckw said…
yay! always an inspiration! HAPPY NEW YEAR toya!
Lana Gramlich said…
I love the parrot & the new blog design. Happy New Year to you. May creativity & fortune smile on you throughout 2010 & beyond!
Anonymous said…
Love the embroidery piece, very British!
jafabrit said…
thanks for dropping by everyone and I hope you had a GREAT New Year :) glad you like the new design :)
jude said…
great stitching here,
jafabrit said…
thanks Jude :)
deb said…
Happy new year, I am looking forward to another exciting year of following your always quirky and refreshing inspiration! And I haven't forgotten about the knitting, I've just been falling apart rather and haven't gotten around to posting it, sorry:(

Popular Posts