The Queen of GewGaw: Aminah Robinson

You can see Aminah's World here and what an adventure.
Columbus, Ohio, artist Aminah Brenda Lynn Robinson creates magical two- and three-dimensional works of art" using " traditional art materials with found objects and everyday materials such as buttons, cloth, leather, twigs, shells, and music box workings"
Aminah has an exhibit at the Springfield Museum of Art called "Along Water Street" and gave a talk on Sunday.

She said several things that resonated with me, particularly when she answered a question about the changes in the business of art since she attended art school. Her response is that she doesn't consider art as a career (she leaves the business of it up to the gallery that represents her) but as a way of life. You can certainly see that in her work which looks archeological in nature, not only in what it represents but the artifacts themselves seem to tell a story."Dad's Journey"
Image source: Aminah's World


She works on these pieces for years and wrote the term for them in my sketchbookbecause they go on and on and on in the making,and the telling of an ongoing story of a life within our world.

If you are in the area you can see her commissioned piece for the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati Ohio. Her chair is in the Columbus Museum of Art

Source:Cincinnati Enquirer
Photo by Steven.M.Herppich


I'm so glad I went, she's such a lovely person, and her work very interesting and inspiring. The Springfield Museum of Art did a beautiful job presenting her work, a must see.


Comments

Leanne Pizio said…
Wow! Love this woman and her work. Wish I could've seen her talk. Lucky woman you.
nolaa gallery said…
I have seen her and her work in Columbus. It's hanging at the Columbus Museum of Art and amazing.
I didn't know she was speaking in Springfield,,, drats!
jafabrit said…
I think you would have enjoyed it Leanne.

Jen, pure luck that I happened to get an email alert from the museum otherwise I wouldn't have known. I will have to get myself back out to Columbus and check out her work there too.
Art as a way of life! I want that for myself! Totally credible&solid! Wish I could have been there...
I will have to check out her work more thoroughly. Now I'm intrigued.
Lori Gravley said…
It was great to see you there in Springfield. Her work is amazing. The Columbus Museum of Art is closed for a year or so for renovations, so you won't be able to see her work (the chair is amazing, but it was frustrating not to be able to get the docents to turn on the music boxes).
jafabrit said…
Lori, thanks for letting me know, eek I would have felt terrible going and finding them closed.

Popular Posts