Sketchbook: Children's Drawing & Embroidery

I adored the little drawing and note my son wrote when he was eight and printed a copy of it for my painted sketchbook page. I thought it would be fun to do this page in stitch.

Colours are not quite as intense, but it is a acrylic color wash on yellow fabric. Next I will start the embroidery at the lower half. The doctor figure is trapunto, which you might be able to see close up. Basically trapunto is when the design is outlined with two or more rows of running stitches and then padded from the underside to achieve a raised effect.




Comments

L.M.Noonan said…
I love what you're doing with your embroidered art; I'm jealous even. The small works are intriguing but I can't help wondering how amazing they could be on a very large scale.
leanne pizio said…
This is precious Jafa.....and precocious! ( did I spell that right? )...Love this so much.
I am really enjoying your take on stitching. Love it!
jafabrit said…
I have to think about the larger scale Loretta :) that would be quite a challenge. But hey I seem to like that right lol! Glad you like what I'm doing.

Hiay Leanne, thanks. Hey how is your finger, you got a bite yes?
Anonymous said…
I've been here twice to see this, and just love it. I am truly enjoying your stitchery, Corrinne. Beautiful. I like that you are turning drawings into these stitched pieces. It's been years since I did trapunto, or even embroidery. You are inspiring me.
Lynda Lehmann said…
Hey, Jafabrit! Congrats to you (and to me..) as we are both on this list of 100 Best Scholarly Art Blogs!!!

I found it on Google by chance. We are in great company, so congrats again to you!

You're in "Artist Sites" and I'm down in "Art Photography," along with NatGeo, the NY Times, Life and Time mag blogs!

xxx
jafabrit said…
Lynda that is SUPER, and you are listed alongside some heavy hitters, that is really cool.
thanks for letting me know.
The Sydney Girl said…
you are so creative and talented.

x
jafabrit said…
thanks sidneygirl and thanks for dropping by.
Rohkhea said…
I find embroidered art really unique and fascinating. I love your work. (:

Also, when you get the time, pay me a visit at my art blog,
www.keikk.blogspot.com
I've only started the blog so I dont have much on there, but I'll be uploading everyday,

again, great work!

Popular Posts