vinyl record painting

I can't remember if I've posted this before, but this one and the one on my jafabrit flickr page are going to be included in a vinyl record exhibit in New York at the APW Gallery in October. YEA!!!!!!!
It was by invitation with the first 50 submissions to be accepted.

One of my favourite blogs is skulladay as it is always fascinating to see how someone can make a skull out of almost anything or see a skull image in a building, a cloud, a leaf etc.

History of Scull Art In Mexico
Hsitory of skulls on gravestones Mystery of Graveyard Art & Symbols By Troy Taylor


I took a photo of this one at St.Mary's in Gateshead, England

Yakkety Yak
Someone asked me what I was up to lately and I said skulls. I was informed that "EVERYBODY" is doing skulls. I said "sure they are, but I'm not everybody". I'm always intrigued when I hear that because well if we didn't do something because everybody else is doing it we wouldn't get any paintings done. I knew where this person was coming from really in that it is seems to be popular right now, but painting skulls has always been popular.
A few examples of Skull Art and Vanitas
Pieter Claesz
Van Gogh
Marlene Dumas & Jean-Michel Basquiat
Salvidor Dali
Damien Hirst
I like this clown skull by Vic Muniz


Hope you had fun exploring my links!


Comments

sarahelizabeth said…
Great post! And congrats on the show.
ckw said…
congratulations - how exciting and what great work-i'm so with ya on the skull thing -my obsession started last september-
what a great accomplishment-but no surprise that you were invited out of all those others!
really glad for you
way to go
thanks -as always-ckw
p said…
wow thats awesome about the record thing. love your attitude about doing what you do regardless.
L.M.Noonan said…
molto cool Jafabrit...I liked the stuff on a skull a day too. Congratulations. I agree about the whole 'original art/concept' debate.
Lana Gramlich said…
Awesome & congratulations on the show! These skulls WOULD seriously do well down here, with the prevalence of voodoo & bright colors that New Orleans is known for. You may want to consider consulting some of the galleries in town (particularly in the French Quarter.)
Undaunted said…
Congratulations on being accepted into the exhibition!

I love the clown skull! Hehehe! But urgh, I can almost smell the smoke from Van Goghs painting! I expect my Mum will look like that in a few years...

What a silly thing to say "everybody's doing skulls". That's like saying "everybody's doing portraits" or "everybody's doing landscapes". Well, of course they are! There is nothing new under the sun. The key is to do it in your own unique way - which you do so well. :)
Anonymous said…
Jaf, I always enjoy your links!
And, for what it's worth, I was trying to get across to someone that "dark" subjects in artwork didn't automatically mean the artist was in a severly depressed or suicidal state. To make my point, I said he should read blogs like this and Skull a Day.(Don't know if he did!)
Dithi said…
you may have seen this....today's blog post just reminded me of this video from etsy labs, thought u would like it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3VDNaikh1w
congratulations, super stuff!!
jafabrit said…
Thanks everyone :)

I agree undaunted, it does seem rather silly.

idle, I have had people be so surprised when they meet me because they assume I am a morose sort of person due to the dark nature of my work. I sometimes feel it is those who fear confronting darker issues because it depresses them and assume others must be the same way.
I have my down moments, but generally speaking I am a rather happy bubbly sort.

Dee I hadn't seen that video, thanks for telling me about it.I saw it and yes, cool.
David Howard said…
Great stuff Jafagirl - your living proof that blogging and art do mix - with a bit of skullduggery thrown in for good measure.
Kim said…
congratulations Corrine....
that's a terrific skull :)
great design/markings ..
Connie said…
I love coming to your blog Corrine...I love your art and I love how you add all these links to learn more about whatever you are posting about. Lately it seems like my life has had a skull invasion too. Hansel has stayed up super late working on his skulls. I'm even thinking of doing skulls. Yeah, everyone is doing skulls...they always have..always will. Who cares...not like the skull is a big secret--everyone has one!

Peace & Love.

PS Congrats Corrine! You rock.
Janets Planet said…
Well, I havent done any skulls of late. So you can chalk me up in the "Not Everybody" column. :-)

Love your paintings and congratulations on the exhibit!
andrea said…
Yes! Big congrats.

I still haven't found me any records to paint on, but then I haven't been looking either...

It's always refreshing to come and see what you've been up to. Re. your post above: I totally get the skull/flowers thing. With me it's landscapes/animal skeletons. I want to explore it ALL.
Daniel Edlen said…
Yeah, Hans at APW seems nice! I've sent 5 of mine. I hope the show gets a lot of visitors. I love your piece, and love the diversity of work on vinyl that's popping up.

Peace.

Popular Posts