Too Famous to Blog

Naw! just kidding, we're yesterday's news
. Truth is I am off to Vegas so I won't be posting for a week.
Will ya miss me, huh! huh!

Nancy and I did the Dwyer & Michaels Radio Show ysterday morning, what a riot those guys are, humph! and they were wondering if I was OFF my meds ;) It was a FUN interview.

STUPID RESIN
I hate it, it isn't hardening. I am going to have to scrape it off my doll assemblage and redo it. bloody resin! Did I mention it was stupid!Anyway I embossed some copper foil and painted and scraped off the paint. I must be into scraping things, lately. Hum, which reminds me, I need to scrape my backside off the puter chair and get cracking in the studio.
"promise not to tell"
oil on wood, antique box, copper foil

This is one of my more serious pieces and will be exhibited again in the Emporium in June. It's about sexual abuse and how some people don't see the warning signs or are unwilling to see. Unless a viewer opens the box they will not know what happened to this child.
I had a conversation with a woman who just couldn't believe her best friend's son could have molested a child (despite the evidence and a guilty plea and prison time). I asked her what would happen if she did accept that? She said she didn't want to think about that. I have come across this many times over the years working as a crisis counselor and in talking with other victims of abuse. It seems for some people it is much easier to live in denial that confront the personal, professional and moral ramifications of accepting that someone you love or know is a sexual predator. That is why so many of these predators get away with it.
If you are someone or know someone who might need help please visit
RAIIN-Rape,Abuse & Incest National Network


HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS DAY

Comments

Have a nice time!
Anonymous said…
Thank-you for this post. the piece is wonderful and touches on such an important subject. I'm sure working on pieces like this can be very hard and emotionally draining, so again I thank-you for this. I am a survivor of childhood molestation and also rape. So of course this speaks to me as I'm sure it does to many, many survivors.

Sara
Undaunted said…
I can only echo what Sara has said - exept I haven't been a victim of this awful trauma. I regard myself as one of the lucky ones, as one of my siblings has been.

You're right, it's hard to come to terms with the fact that someone you love could do this, especially to someone else you love. When I found out I took down his photo, but I can't part with it entirely.

A few tears later...

On a lighter note, of course I will miss you! But I hope you have a great time. Your piece is wonderful - I love deep art with meaning.
Undaunted said…
Oh, I meant to say how disappointed I was that you didn't stick your tongue out this time! :o)
MARGARET FIELD said…
What a beautiful poignant piece of art.
And yes we will miss you, like you will miss us. yeah lol.

PS loving your new 'chinese takeaway' look,
Casey Klahn said…
You are too famous, dear. I tried one of those make-overs, too, but couldn't pull it off like you did.
Kris Cahill said…
Have fun in Las Vegas, baby!! I'm back already, so I'll unfortunately miss having you run up to me on the Strip to say hello. Can't wait to read your impressions!
Unknown said…
That's a masterful work of art and I wish I could see it in person, but I'm sure it's making a big impact on everyone that does. What a powerful message delivered in a most inventive and intriguing way. Makes me proud to know you, even if it's just in "cyberspace"!
Colette Amelia said…
OH MY! I know a famous person! Better buy some art while the prices are low!

Paint the town red! Or knit the town green!
Lynette said…
Have a great time in Vegas, lucky lady!! OMG love that pic of ya! :)
Heather said…
Have a great time in Vegas BABY! Your post really hit home for me...I was the child in the box. Thank you for what you are doing in bringing it out into the light, for us to all see and deal with. You are a hero to many adults/children out there, and my personal hero today.
Janets Planet said…
Have a good time.
dinahmow said…
Good piece, Jafa.

Will I miss you? Can a duck swim? Have a fun time.
Have a good time - love your claim to fame - you deserve a vacation. My blog has an occasional visitor, while having several blogs, has one that touches the consequences of abuse and speaks with authority-mycloudsandmystorms.blogspot.com A remarkable journey.
Cynthia said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Enjoy Vegas!

BTW, you are famous... ;D

Darn that resin too - I can't imagine what it would be like to scrape it off.

I just picked up a book from the library that I know you'd enjoy - 500 Handmade Dolls, Lark Books. Some are sort of hokey, but many are fascinating.

PS, love your song choice currently playing.
jafabrit said…
Lark books cynthia LOL! I definitely have to find that one, hokey or not I bet I would enjoy it too.
David Howard said…
Just dropping to say HI - I hope you enjoy Vegas - very weird place I believe, let us know what it's like - for the Australian viewers.
cya
San said…
Wow, Corrine, that is a tenderly wrought artpiece that works on several levels--esthetic, psychological, and political.

Uncovering truth through art--always a challenge but well worth the labor involved.
Dropped in today to see if you were back. I had this feeling that the picture in your post is part of your modeling portfolio and now you are part of a Vegas show girl revue. lol
Linda Blondheim said…
Have a great trip. I love your blog because I never know what you will do next.
Love,
Linda

www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
I love that picture that's how I feel first thing in the morning when my 4 year old asks me about the cd to the harddrive and I am not kidding about the harddrive thing.
Louisiana said…
how lucky we are to have a too famous artist work in our home.

Happy Easter friend. May God keep you and yours always close to His heart.xo
jafabrit said…
hiay american genius, the song is by Feist called 1234. It is a rather sweet song :) Sorry to hear you are not feeling so cheery.

Hope you had a great easter chana, and nice to see ya here :)

Yep shirley, I think asking about hard drives would make me feel the same way LOL. wow, 4 years old and already talking about cd and hard drives. YIKES! YOu are IN FOR IT ;)
Miss Shirl said…
I think so too. My brother put security codes and everything on that computer my 4 year old hacked it! Lol! My brother is still scratching his head over it.
Susie Q said…
What a moving piece of art. So important and I know you put so much love and heart into it, as you do all your work.
2 people I love very much were victims of child molestation and we know all too well the pain...and that many look the other way.
Thank you for this amazing treasure.

Popular Posts