Portrait in Oil

"Catwalk"

I was thinking I might reuse this image I painted a few years ago, but I seem be suffering from idea overload. I have this idea and by the time I get down to the studio it is replaced with another idea, and then doubt sets in because I have yet another idea that in the end I don't do any. arg!!!! LOL!

Meanwhile I am working on a larger cutout version of the vampire rabbit gargoyle for above the entrance door of the gallery in October. A couple of fellow Jafa's are working on a public project with me. We plan to do some painted silhouette or gargoyle images on wood and attach them to some of the buildings in town. I have permission from one owner to place a couple of gargoyle dogs on top of the pillars at the entrance of his building.

"Catwalk" was based on the idea that we make icons out of models. At the time Adbusters were doing a few spoof ads about the fashion industry and there was a lot of news about models being anorexic, going into rehab etc. It is oil on canvas, sanded down to give it an old look and also to make it flawed.

PS: There is a call to artists near to Yellow Springs,Ohio. Check out the info at the art council blog here.

Comments

Cynthia said…
Don't reuse this painting - it's beautiful!!

Although, in the end, you must do what you must.

What an odd thing that as a culture, models are looked up to and canonized.
jafabrit said…
oh poo I confused you, no I was thinking of reusing the image, not the painting itself arg! But dang it I have already moved on with another idea LOL!
I know what you mean about 'idea overload'. I have that, too...
ApOgEE said…
This Catwalk is a beautiful piece. Seems antic and that's cool for me. Maybe you can make printed postcards from it. ;D
jafabrit said…
hum, hadn't thought about postcards apogee, I like that idea. Will check with the gallery see if they are interested.
Lynette said…
What a lovely and haunting work! Some of those models look like walking skeletons and it just doesn't look attractive at all to me! Wish I had idea overload, I haven't had enough ideas lately!
andrea said…
Beautifully enigmatic. It reminds me a bit of an episode of Without A Trace I saw recently where an artist goes missing. Something about the blurred face reminds me of her paintings.
Cool, love the way she's blurred out on one side.

you sure have been busy since the last time I visited!

I've been meaning to drop by and tell you I found a Jafa business card on the table at my studio about a month ago. I thought maybe you had been by but then I remembered you saying you have a friend that moved out here. It was such a trip to see the Jafa card all the way out here in NM!
jafabrit said…
paula that is a hoot, will have to tell my friend Jan :)
Susie Q said…
Oh how I LOVE this piece. Truly..I adore it. It is lovely yet unsettling. Mystical and magical. an you tell I LOVE this?

And I would also love to know why models are treated like celebs...of course, I am still scratching my head over Paris and Nicole and their ilk. When I consider them as celebs, maybe some of the models are not too bad. Oh sheesh...did I just say that?

I am so looking forward to you October event!

Hugs,
Sue
Heather said…
I love this work...really, really. DAMN but you are so talented. Sheesh.
:)
I have been having lot o Ideas and no time or energy to do them...I just keep writing them down though...because someday I will be bored and think I have not had an original idea...evah...and I'll just re-read my "how to be brilliant" cliff notes.
inspired said…
Hi Jafabrit just called in to say HiYa pet from Geordie Land or
Y i Land.. :o]
jafabrit said…
great ta hear from ya hinnie, loverly to read a bit geordie inspired :)

I will look foward to seeing you and grace in october :)

Hmbt, oh i love that "how to be brilliant" cliff notes LOL! And you know that the sketch dribble!dribble! is from a OLD sketchbook. I never seem to mine images from current sketch books but one's that go back 2 or 3 years.
Mmm...so gorgeous.
Almost looks like a religious icon.
I love it's ancient, magical qualities..
Marty Brooks said…
This painting is beautiful & haunting Corinne. I relate to your idea overload - that's been happening to me too lately, but I haven't had a chance to work, which makes it even worse - or better? Either way it's disconcerting...
Unknown said…
What, specifically, do you mean when you write "re-use"? Please don't paint over this. I'm on bended knee. She is beautiful.
jafabrit said…
Jim, I think I should not have said re-use but rather use the image again like I did with my angel.
http://jafabrit.blogspot.com/2007/04/variations-of-theme.html

thanks for your comments everyone :)

Popular Posts