Kid's Art and Kippers


I used bugle beads and small beads for the eyes on this one by my son. It is of course mr. and mrs pacman in love and the stork deliving a baby pacman :)

Media and method: I gesso black fabric, trace on the design, paint outlines and fill in with acrylic, use quilting thread around some of the edges, and then embellish with black embroidery thread, beads, buttons etc.
Kipper Trivia

new lingo
Well I thought Kippers meant just smoked fish, but apparently that isn't all it means. According to this BBC article it is 21st Century lingo for: "kids in parents' pockets eroding the retirement savings". In the last decade one-in-four young adults in their 20s has returned home to live with their parents after university, according to market researchers the Henley Centre. "Boomerang kids", "Mammons" and "Parasite singles" are not red herrings, they are simply similar terms adopted in the US, Italy and Japan respectively."

Food Art

And then there is Sarah Lucas using kippers in some of her art, ( I hate to tell you in what way she used them, guess you will have to visit here to find out). Sacrilege.


Bad Joke

1st kipper: 'Smoking's bad for you'
2nd kipper: 'It's OK, I've been cured'

Comments

Janets Planet said…
Interesting technique that you have decided to use.
What are your plans for them?
That is adorable!! I love the kitty & the mouse. They really put a smile on my face=:)
jafabrit said…
think I am going to make a wall hanging, but how I will assemble and stitch together is up in the air at the moment.
The kitty and mouse is my fave so far. Very simple and very sweet.
Lisa Call said…
I always look at other moms' kid art and wonder what went wrong at my house. My kids' art is almost all abstract. No cute bunny pictures.

I'm jealous!

These are wonderful.
Dr.John said…
Good art. Bad joke.
Anonymous said…
How sweet! I used to play pacman all the time! It's wonderful to know that kids of today still like it! Sharing art with your children is great! Make's me all excited!!! WOOO HOOOO YOU GO! *Hugs*
Susie Q said…
These are just wonderful...I am smiling so wide now and I truly needed that smile!

LOVE the Kippers joke...you know my dog is named Kipper...if we could teach him how to tell that joke..hm...

I can just imagine a wall hanging with those treasred works. Wow.

Love,
Sue
Cynthia said…
Love your kid's artwork, especially the stork delivering the baby pac man! I like your technique. It's interesting to me to see how someone else approaches paint on fabric.
Unknown said…
This is some blog post, JB:

Cool kid's art, but that mouse had better get a move on. He's just a couple of little mousie steps from anhilation!

I guess the "latchkey kids" of yesterday have become the "boomerang kids" of today. Glad there are none in my house . . .

I dislike kippers, in ALL forms! (Even the ones in really BAD jokes!)

Later!
We have had temporary boomarang kids. One son moved home while he was starting his own contracting business and he just moved out in January. The other and his wife are here temporarily, until son number one finishes building their house. Just when you get used to being by yourself, they move back. It's nice to be with them though. I'm sure things will be too quiet when they move out.
I live your idea of a wall hanging with the kid art. What if you put that iron-on fuseable adhesive on the backs, iron them on a base fabric and stitch around them like an applique'?
Anonymous said…
Hi Sis,

them kippers really stink hinny!

As for what that artist did with them ...well I nearly passed oot!

What a hoot!

Miss you as always you cheeky lass!

Check out The Sage & Baltic .

Love A xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jafabrit said…
I don't think I can use fusible stuff on the backs as I have batting and quilted through it. thanks for the suggestion though.

aye up spugduck, whose the cheeky one here ;) I love the MUNIZ portraits and choice of media says a lot about their personalities. Marlene made of diamonds is sparkly and wonderful. Nice to see you here, made my day.
Heather said…
I love the kids works...very fun. The kippers...OMG! Is all I have to say.
Oh, and ai added you to my links...because I need to be able to find you faster...*Speedy Grins*
jafabrit said…
Hum bad kitty couldn't resist the kitty art :) thanks, Iv'e added your link to mine too.
Tag, you're it! Hehe.... :)

Popular Posts